Jessica Aldridge, using The Good Cookies Bakery, has crafted the perfect healthy stuffing for the holidays. A delicious alternative for those gluten sensitive, vegetarian, or just interested in eating healthy for the holidays. Wheat Free, Dairy Free, Corn Free, and Soy Free.
Vegetarian Wild Rice – Mushroom – Pecan Stuffing
Serves: 12 (recipe can be divided in half)
Pan size(s): 1-2 casserole dishes ranging in sizes: 13 by 9 by 2-inch casserole dish
(As always, be sure to check ingredients lists for gluten/wheat free and organic labeling)
12 Ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup (homemade)
|Optional ingredients (that we highly recommend)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. First, cook the Wild Rice while preparing the other ingredients, as it can take 40 minutes to cook. Follow the instructions on the wild rice packet. Be sure to rinse the rice before cooking.
3. Second, create Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup. Instead of using condensed soup from a BPA lined can, it is easy to make your own.
- Sauté the 1/2 cup of mushrooms in 3 tbsp olive oil till they become tender.
- Stir in 3 tbsp Gluten free flour to create a roux
- Add almond milk a little at time creating a mixture the consistency of condensed soup. (It is not essential to use all the milk; only use enough as necessary.)
- Add more flour or milk to achieve right consistency.
4. Sauté onions and celery in olive oil
5. In a large mixing bowl combine and mix well the following ingredients:
- Condensed cream of mushroom soup
- Onions and celery mix
- 1 cup (only) vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Poultry or other seasoning (only if you are not using Good Cookies Bread)
6. Combine the remaining ingredients (it should be sticky):
- Cooked Wild Rice
- Remaining 2 ounces of vegetable broth
7. Prepare casserole dish(es) with olive oil or grape seed oil to avoid stuffing from sticking. Add stuffing mixture and cover with foil.
8. Bake for about an hour at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
9. Uncover and bake another 3-5 to toast the outside layer.
Roast the pecans for a favorable taste.
The stuffing tastes even better the next day!
Altered recipe from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetarian-Stuffing-2/